There are the same scenarios on all the versions of the game. And respect to an update... We have waited more than 9 months for this game to update, and it looks like it's not going to change in the future.
1.Try restarting computer.
2. Try to restart steam or if you didn't buy age of civilizations then maybe the version is outdated.
3. (Only if you bought it) - Ask someone on steam community for help.
4. Contact with the support.
5. Uninstall the game on steam and then install it again, if you didn't buy the game then install the newest version of AOC2.
6.Potato PC - I mean who evens had computer with lower 512mb graphic card or lower than 1gb.
7. Virus - Well it happened to me when i was downloading games from piratebay and i got virus on my internet card so basicly not safe anyway to download from any site the game.
8. Clean the computer - Well if it was like 3 or 4 months without cleaning then you should try to take sponge XD. - but do not clean it with sponge i mean XD
If this ones can't help you than just buy AOC2 on steam : https://store.steampowered.com/app/603850/Age_of_Civilizations_II/ just for 4,99$.
Age of Civilizations 2 — a great game that has a huge potential and a motley, large community. How many people have become her loyal fans, who are still waiting for updates on the game, which was released on November 22, 2018 quite raw and with a lot of bugs. Major updates or even simple bugfixes we have not seen, and the developer continues to ignore the messages of players and does not plan to develop his masterpiece.
Łukasz, why did you start making a new game without finishing the old one? You have not yet completed your first, grandiose and large-scale project, updates for which are waiting for all the fans, but at the same time already strive to make a new game? Don't you realize that this very new project will be perceived by the audience with negative for the simple reason that you corny did not finish AOC 2? What do we players need? We want to see at least one update that will fix bugs, and in the best case-will introduce global innovations in the game, with new chips and mechanics. Łukasz, we, your loyal fans, will remember you as a wonderful developer, and the Creator of a large, and most importantly – a successful project, if you still do what we ask. Believe me, not every one of us wants to see a new project, while the existing one does not meet expectations and prospects. This can always be done later, you have a lot of time for new projects. First you need to bring to the ideal existing. After all, he really deserves it, and it will be better for everyone. Lukas, save AoC II. We will be especially happy and grateful if you respond to our spam-action, which we had to arrange to get your attention and response.
Sincerely, dedicated players of your promising project.