Jump to content
Age of History Games
Irish empire

World War Two Nerds?

Recommended Posts

I'm interested in WW2, albeit I wouldn't call myself a nerd. 

If you want to debate, then here are some opinions on WW2 of mine:

  • Germany could have won WW2, but only without Hitler. Even then, if they still had to invade USSR, they'd only win in the very unlikely scenario that they'd get Western support.
  • Erwin Rommel is one of the most overrated Generals of all time.
  • Heinz Guderian is what most people make Erwin Rommel out to be.
  • Erich von Manstein was one of the most brilliant strategists of WW2 and one of the main reasons Germany was so successful.
  • US involvement in the war could only be delayed, but not prevented.
  • Germany could never ever have invaded mainland Britain, even with the destruction of the RAF.
  • Hitler was the reason for both the success of Germany and the failure of it.
  • Germany produced some of the best tanks of the war, but they were exactly the kind of tanks Germany did not need.
  • The Sherman is underrated.
  • While most people say Germany would have been better without Italy, I disagree. While Italy had one of the worst armies of WW2, it still did its own fair share of helping Germany. The Italian Navy kept the Royal Navy busy so Germany could focus on the ground aspect.
  • Many people misunderstand the involvement of Baltics within WW2. The Courland Pocket saw very fierce combat, and the Latvian Legionnaires were some of the last German units surrendered. Let that sink in - the Courland Pocket held out until the Soviets had already reached Berlin.
  • While Soviets had already won by then, D-Day was still an important part of the Allied efforts to end WW2.
  • The nuking of Japan was fully and completely justified.
  • Germany couldn't have gotten nukes, even if the Norwegian resistance members hadn't blown up the heavy water stations and what not.
  • The Soviet Union had better tactics for the use of large scale tank assaults - Deep Operations/Soviet Deep Battle.
  • There was no such thing as a "blitzkrieg" tactic - it was simply generals using the tanks at their disposal to their best ability.
  • Germany was technologically superior to the Allies, but its resources deprived them of putting them to any use.

Please don't hate me for having an opinion.

Edited by Sneaky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry that was a mistake I agree with you partly about the generals. But the overrating of Rommel is an outcome of British overrating of Montgomery who was the one who drove Rommel back from Egypt.

.especially here in Ireland and the U.K we are constantly given the opinion when studying world war two  Monty was the best general/one of the best. as a result of this we look further into Monty's combat career and we can see that he  was very successful(apart from in Holland). Monty was like Russia's Zhukov the pride of the nation.to boost his status further and to boost Britain's importance, they made Rommel out to be an amazing general and only a outstanding person like Bernard Montgomery could ever defeat him right?Rommel is overrated but I think that Montgomery is definitely the most overrated general of ww2

Rommel is actually my favourite general and I know a bit about his background. He performed great in the French campaign sometimes 32 miles ahead of the main advance. it was only here hitler noticed him.in one instance he took 10,000 French prisoners losing 36 men 

the German incursion Into north Africa was just meant to be on a support mission to help the beaten Italian troops(so a small army) but Rommel was given permission to launch attacks if he saw fit. as im sure you know he drove them back to Tobruk and el Alemain. even though he made these great territorial gains for the germans he is still very overrated, while people like guderian and manstein are underrated.i think guderan was actually a better general than manstein though

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Sneaky said:

Germany could have won WW2, but only without Hitler. Even then, if they still had to invade USSR, they'd only win in the very unlikely scenario that they'd get Western support.

First of all, i'm only kind of a nerd as i like to learn about a lot of topics. But i believe that i'm knowledgable about WWII, at least more than the average. Here's my two cents:

Not really. Hitler didn't have a much more impact on the war than, let's say, generals. The war still couldn't have been won without Hitler.

 

Also, i don't think delaying the attack on the USSR will do you any good. Germany was running low on critical things and USSR was only getting stronger. While USSR was somewhat low on production of things related to military compared to Germany, their potential was greater. And Lebensraum.

20 hours ago, Sneaky said:

Germany produced some of the best tanks of the war, but they were exactly the kind of tanks Germany did not need.

Not really against it. Massproducing the tanks they already had would've been better for them. And not wasting their money on supertanks like Maus that can be destroyed by air attacks easily.

 

20 hours ago, Sneaky said:

The nuking of Japan was fully and completely justified.

Didn't they schedule a meeting 3 days later after the nuke? I don't think they were in a hurry after the first nuke.

 

20 hours ago, Sneaky said:

The Soviet Union had better tactics for the use of large scale tank assaults - Deep Operations/Soviet Deep Battle.

But they weren't able to use them. Good tactics, poor use. Germany was better in that regard, i think.

 

20 hours ago, Sneaky said:

There was no such thing as a "blitzkrieg" tactic - it was simply generals using the tanks at their disposal to their best ability.

True, but i think the Germans were the first to do the "Tanks first, infantry later." strategy.

 

20 hours ago, Sneaky said:

Please don't hate me for having an opinion.

I will not, don't worry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JustAnUser said:

Not really. Hitler didn't have a much more impact on the war than, let's say, generals. The war still couldn't have been won without Hitler.

 

 

Hence I said, "Hitler was the reason for both the success of Germany and the failure of it."

4 hours ago, JustAnUser said:

Also, i don't think delaying the attack on the USSR will do you any good. Germany was running low on critical things and USSR was only getting stronger. While USSR was somewhat low on production of things related to military compared to Germany, their potential was greater. And Lebensraum.

2

I never implied that Germany should have attacked later. I was implying that Germany could have won against the USSR only if they managed to get Western (that is, Allied) support.

4 hours ago, JustAnUser said:

Didn't they schedule a meeting 3 days later after the nuke? I don't think they were in a hurry after the first nuke.

 

I don't really see what point you're trying to make.

4 hours ago, JustAnUser said:

But they weren't able to use them. Good tactics, poor use. Germany was better in that regard, i think.

11

You seem to be arguing against a point I never made. Albeit, the Soviets were able to use deep operations - Operation Uranus.

4 hours ago, JustAnUser said:

True, but i think the Germans were the first to do the "Tanks first, infantry later." strategy.

1

It wasn't planned, however. Hitler was himself very surprised by the success of the Wehrmacht against France. He was not at all expecting such a sudden and successful thrust against France.

 

 

12 hours ago, Irish empire said:

sorry that was a mistake I agree with you partly about the generals. But the overrating of Rommel is an outcome of British overrating of Montgomery who was the one who drove Rommel back from Egypt.

.especially here in Ireland and the U.K we are constantly given the opinion when studying world war two  Monty was the best general/one of the best. as a result of this we look further into Monty's combat career and we can see that he  was very successful(apart from in Holland). Monty was like Russia's Zhukov the pride of the nation.to boost his status further and to boost Britain's importance, they made Rommel out to be an amazing general and only a outstanding person like Bernard Montgomery could ever defeat him right?Rommel is overrated but I think that Montgomery is definitely the most overrated general of ww2

Rommel is actually my favourite general and I know a bit about his background. He performed great in the French campaign sometimes 32 miles ahead of the main advance. it was only here hitler noticed him.in one instance he took 10,000 French prisoners losing 36 men 

the German incursion Into north Africa was just meant to be on a support mission to help the beaten Italian troops(so a small army) but Rommel was given permission to launch attacks if he saw fit. as im sure you know he drove them back to Tobruk and el Alemain. even though he made these great territorial gains for the germans he is still very overrated, while people like guderian and manstein are underrated.i think guderan was actually a better general than manstein though

 

 

16

1. Rommel was a good general, I agree, but my problem is that most people make him out as the reason for the success of German tanks, especially the Northern attack into France via the Benelux. You could have put any good general in place of Rommel and they would have done just as well as Rommel did, which is why I think Rommel is overrated - he was good, but not the reason for Germany's success.

2. You can't compare Guderian to Manstein at all. Guderian was a tactician, Manstein was a strategist. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

3. I definitely agree with your 2nd paragraph, though. Monty, Zhukov and Rommel were all "media generals", pride of the nation, as you said. Albeit, Zhukov did actually deserve his spot when compared to the state of the USSR.

Zhukov was not at all a great general. The reason he became so popular was that he was a good general when compared to everyone else the USSR had. The Great Purge left a massive hole in the commanding abilities of the USSR, and Zhukov was the only competent general they had, hence he was regarded as one of the best generals of WW2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2019 at 10:48 PM, JustAnUser said:

Not really against it. Massproducing the tanks they already had would've been better for them. And not wasting their money on supertanks like Maus that can be destroyed by air attacks easily.

Mass producing the tanks are basically impossible for them, and their panzer 4's are already obselete by the time barbarossa started

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2019 at 3:32 AM, Sneaky said:

Zhukov was not at all a great general. The reason he became so popular was that he was a good general when compared to everyone else the USSR had. The Great Purge left a massive hole in the commanding abilities of the USSR, and Zhukov was the only competent general they had, hence he was regarded as one of the best generals of WW2.

Zhukov wasn't the only competent general, Konev was also decent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2019 at 3:14 PM, Sneaky said:

I'm interested in WW2, albeit I wouldn't call myself a nerd. 

If you want to debate, then here are some opinions on WW2 of mine:

  • Germany could have won WW2, but only without Hitler. Even then, if they still had to invade USSR, they'd only win in the very unlikely scenario that they'd get Western support.
  • Erwin Rommel is one of the most overrated Generals of all time.
  • Heinz Guderian is what most people make Erwin Rommel out to be.
  • Erich von Manstein was one of the most brilliant strategists of WW2 and one of the main reasons Germany was so successful.
  • US involvement in the war could only be delayed, but not prevented.
  • Germany could never ever have invaded mainland Britain, even with the destruction of the RAF.
  • Hitler was the reason for both the success of Germany and the failure of it.
  • Germany produced some of the best tanks of the war, but they were exactly the kind of tanks Germany did not need.
  • The Sherman is underrated.
  • While most people say Germany would have been better without Italy, I disagree. While Italy had one of the worst armies of WW2, it still did its own fair share of helping Germany. The Italian Navy kept the Royal Navy busy so Germany could focus on the ground aspect.
  • Many people misunderstand the involvement of Baltics within WW2. The Courland Pocket saw very fierce combat, and the Latvian Legionnaires were some of the last German units surrendered. Let that sink in - the Courland Pocket held out until the Soviets had already reached Berlin.
  • While Soviets had already won by then, D-Day was still an important part of the Allied efforts to end WW2.
  • The nuking of Japan was fully and completely justified.
  • Germany couldn't have gotten nukes, even if the Norwegian resistance members hadn't blown up the heavy water stations and what not.
  • The Soviet Union had better tactics for the use of large scale tank assaults - Deep Operations/Soviet Deep Battle.
  • There was no such thing as a "blitzkrieg" tactic - it was simply generals using the tanks at their disposal to their best ability.
  • Germany was technologically superior to the Allies, but its resources deprived them of putting them to any use.

Please don't hate me for having an opinion.

Never understood people who said we weren't justified in nuking Japan. Look at how hard they faught just defending some random islands. Now imagine that, but in Mainland Japan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By HawkerSP
      Hello everyone
       
      This is basically a remake and submod of Fate of World R.E created by Kerems and his development team.
      This submod is focused in the XX and XXI century in which there will be many events and alternative history.
       
      FEATURES:
       
      - A lot of events
      - fixed scenarios
      - new music
      - 471 new provinces (4740 provinces in total)
      - new leaders
      - new scenarios with events
      - some cities renown
      -new icons
      -Focus trees
      -new civilizations
      -and more!
       
      Discord: https://discord.gg/snSvsxdHgt
      (Teasers, Achievements, Suggestions, bugs report a more in the discord)
      What's new?
       
      Version 0.0.1:
      •Mod released
       
      Version Alpha 0.0.2:
      •Fixed Communist Ideology
       
      Version 1.0.0:
       • Focus tree was added in the 1936 scenario to the United States, United Kingdom, France, Italy, and Japan.
       • The Second Pacific War was added in "The Old Order"
       • Peruvian victory in the northern war in "The Old Order" fixed
       • Added an option to redraw France after the German victory over the United Kingdom
       • Added new events for "The Old Order"
       • Central America was added in "The Old Order" and its civil war
       • The southern war was added in "The Old Order"
       • Now like France you can ask for an armistice with Germany instead of being Free France
       • New events for Germany in 1936
       • New events in 1941 and 1942
       • Added some hoi4 images for focus trees
       • Events added for Chile, Argentina and Peru were added in "The Old Order"
       • New fascist way for the United Kingdom on 1936 scenario
       • New Reichskommissariats were added
       • Added TNO civilizations
       • New scenario: The New Order (beta)
       • New scenario: The West Russian War (beta)
       • New scenario: The Second West Russian War (beta)
       • New scenario: 1939 with events
       • Changed the name of Volgograd to Stalingrad
       • The effects of land types were changed
       • Soviet surrender was fixed in 1936
       • Soviet surrender was added in 1941
       • Added a new seabed in the map
       • Fixed Zaolzie bug
       • Japan was nerfed on the 1936 scenario
       • The flag of the Iberian Union was changed
       • The Spanish civil war was fixed
       • New portrait for FDR
       • New portrait for Benito Mussolini
       • Fixed some cores
       • Minor fixes
       • Minor change to the UI on the PC version
       •New icon for Mobile version
       • Light optimization
       • and more!
       
      Download links:
       
       (1.0.0) PC:
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cRx-IemDi45pPb1KXPDI_A7JhAA_f-1m/view?usp=drivesdk
       (1.0.0) Android:
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cRT1p1pQ2h3rkE0cbaY7LJLaZClfGOpo/view?usp=drivesdk
       
       Why 1.0.0?
       
       -Because the mod is no longer in Alpha



        


            
       
    • By Shop_Soy
      DISCONTINUED
      For now...
       
      Welcome to Shop Soy: Der Kalter Krieg's official page. SS:DKK is yet another WW2 Axis Victory scenario but with a twist: It's my story, with my characters and my lore. This scenario is heavily inspired in The New Order and Thousand Week Reich mods for HoI4 and was made only for fun, I don't condone noir support any extreme ideologies presented in this mod (With the exception of one: Nationalism).
      Content:
      -Slightly improved UI
      -A few new ideologies
      -Tons of new leaders and civilizations
      -Lots of events
      -And more (that I'm too lazy to remember)
       
      DEMO AVAILABLE!! v1.2
      https://mega.nz/file/OrIXmQ4A#i_TX1Y_uF0EATHvlxdgP_gu2WjYkEa88lH3FgQ-hJks
       
      Heil Shop Soy!
       





    • By RandomWarior
      The WWII Mod
                   Version 2
       
      This is version 2 release of the WWII mod.
       
      Welcome to Version 2 of the WWII Mod, a mod based on WWII, this mod inludes many new additions based on the second world war, i will list some below
      1. New leaders have been added for almost all nations, all nations with new leaders are: Panama, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvedor, Guatamala, Costa Rica, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Australia, New Zealand, Kuomintang, Ma Hushans's Division, Liu Wenhui's division, Empire of great Manchuria, East Hebei, Mongol Military Government, Tannu Tuva, Burma, Afghanistan, Iraq, Ango-Egyptian Sudan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Persia, United Kingdom and South Africa.
      2. Many new events have been added, with the Asian Madness update, a lot of events for Asia are included, nations with events are: Kuomintang, Japan, Xibei San Ma, Shanxi, Mongolia, Tibet, Manchuria, Mongol Military Government, Tannu Tuva, Commonwealth of the Phillippenes, Australia, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Soviet Union, United States of America, Italy, Hungary, Romania, Austria, Yunnan, Guandong, Hunan and Guangxi.
      3. Accurate cores have also been added, nations with large colonial empires now have to deal with other peoples that reside in their nations, nations such as this are: Netherlands, United Kingdom, France and the Soviet Union (SSR's have been turned into cores).
      4. UI has been changed, everything now looks a little more fancy, new font has been added aswell.
      5. New Soundtrack has been added, the current songs in it are mostly Asia themed due to the update being asia themed.
      Anyways, have fun!
       
      Download PC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TAMR2qIraI892Hiitb6GSod4d8B2rEBY/view?usp=sharing
      Download Mobile: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uL4xJ-pVJPM8XAz7Qw1CxJhxnitplYeg/view?usp=sharing
       
      Promotional video: 
      Asia Timelapse (Version 2): 
       
      Old Forum: 

      If there are any issues be sure to say so in the comment section.
       
      Development logs are in the comment section, this might be moved to an external source.
       
       

    • By FuseSelf555
      Today is Happy Thailand's national day 5th December
      Now I'll present Italy vs Yugoslavia 1936
      Link here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/whr70qabn4tgasv/Italy+vs+Yugoslavia+1936.rar/file
      Scenario tag: 1638617680493xwprvwkl
    • By RandomWarior
      The WWII Mod
      The WWII Mod, a Mod based on WWII
      Expected to be in the Mod:
          1... Scenarios:
               1... 1936 (Has Events and accurate cores)
               2... 1939 (Has accurate cores)
               3... 1941 (Has accurate cores)
               4... 1943 (Has accurate cores)
               5... 1945 (Has accurate cores)
          2... Further scenario information:
               1... China is reworked, more accurate warlords and cliques.
               2... Only for 1936, events are history based. 
               3... Equador finally has an accurate border.
           3... Edited UI (limited edits):
                1... New UI style, borders edited to look more gold.
                2... Logo text changed to "The WWII Mod".
                3... Flag UI changed, now has some texture.
            4... New Ideologies
                1... National Socialism
                2... Socialism
                3... Nationalism
                More can be added in the future.
       
      These are most of the things that will be in the Mod, more can be sugested in the comments of course.
      I will be providing screenshots in the future, also detailing how many events an nation has.
       
      Expected Release Date:
           Limited Release launched: 
       
       
       
  • Our picks

  • Tell a friend

    Love Age of History Games? Tell a friend!

  • Posts

×
×
  • Create New...