Age of History Games
KlauD

Some theories on why the game isn't getting updated

Hi, I've played this game for a year. I first bought the game on the iPad then moved on to Steam. I must say I find this game really addicting and immersive. The complaint with this game is that it has a lot of bugs and limitations that hinders the gameplay experience. I believe it has been a year since the last major update to the game was published, and the rest only included scenario downloads that come from the AOC2 forums. Many have been complaining that the developer isn't updating the game. A lot of developers do abandon their games, but what is odd about this is that the developer is somehow active in the forums, yet he doesn't seem to be able to oblige to the demands of the community. I've lurked in the forums in the past, and I read a statement from him saying that the next update would be a new slightly different game called "AOC3," and I observed many that said that the developer should just focus on fixing the game's bugs instead. Once again, no response from the developer. It's a fact that he gained a huge sum of profit just from this game alone, but he doesn't update it. I made a few theories that came to mind on what could have happened.

1) He lost the game's source files

Since the game has encrypted/compiled all its source files, the only way to program it is with using the decompiled version. He likely experienced a data corruption in his hardware that destroyed the game's original source files, disabling him from making further progress on the game and fixing the bugs. And he had no backup. He would be able to update the game, but it's restricted to only updating decrypted files like the configuration settings and the scenarios. This might also explain why he unveiled plans to make a new game instead of updating the game.

2)  The game's code is too complex

This one is least likely but still probable since he is the developer and he should know full well the inner workings of the game from inside out. He might have tried to fix the bugs before, but he failed to find the underlying causes of it due to the complexity of the code he made. This can happen when you make your code too complex that a human would have a hard time interpreting it.

3) He's burnt out & lazy asf with all the money

It's probable that he lost his will to code and is too busy doing other stuff with all the money he made from the game. He's probably too busy gambling/doing alcohol and drugs to even care about fixing his shitty game.

Whichever is true, we can all agree that the developer is shy about whatever situation he is facing, and he's too afraid to confront to the community on his issues. He gathered up a very dedicated community who all believe this game has a big potential, but it's a real shame this is happening. Feel free to reply with your own thoughts about this, or you can reply with your own theories instead.

On 11/20/2020 at 6:28 PM, KlauD said:

Hi, I've played this game for a year. I first bought the game on the iPad then moved on to Steam. I must say I find this game really addicting and immersive. The complaint with this game is that it has a lot of bugs and limitations that hinders the gameplay experience. I believe it has been a year since the last major update to the game was published, and the rest only included scenario downloads that come from the AOC2 forums. Many have been complaining that the developer isn't updating the game. A lot of developers do abandon their games, but what is odd about this is that the developer is somehow active in the forums, yet he doesn't seem to be able to oblige to the demands of the community. I've lurked in the forums in the past, and I read a statement from him saying that the next update would be a new slightly different game called "AOC3," and I observed many that said that the developer should just focus on fixing the game's bugs instead. Once again, no response from the developer. It's a fact that he gained a huge sum of profit just from this game alone, but he doesn't update it. I made a few theories that came to mind on what could have happened.

1) He lost the game's source files

Since the game has encrypted/compiled all its source files, the only way to program it is with using the decompiled version. He likely experienced a data corruption in his hardware that destroyed the game's original source files, disabling him from making further progress on the game and fixing the bugs. And he had no backup. He would be able to update the game, but it's restricted to only updating decrypted files like the configuration settings and the scenarios. This might also explain why he unveiled plans to make a new game instead of updating the game.

2)  The game's code is too complex

This one is least likely but still probable since he is the developer and he should know full well the inner workings of the game from inside out. He might have tried to fix the bugs before, but he failed to find the underlying causes of it due to the complexity of the code he made. This can happen when you make your code too complex that a human would have a hard time interpreting it.

3) He's burnt out & lazy asf with all the money

It's probable that he lost his will to code and is too busy doing other stuff with all the money he made from the game. He's probably too busy gambling/doing alcohol and drugs to even care about fixing his shitty game.

Whichever is true, we can all agree that the developer is shy about whatever situation he is facing, and he's too afraid to confront to the community on his issues. He gathered up a very dedicated community who all believe this game has a big potential, but it's a real shame this is happening. Feel free to reply with your own thoughts about this, or you can reply with your own theories instead.

Maybe is working in another thing