Jump to content
Age of History Games
Irish empire

World War Two Nerds?

Recommended Posts

I'm interested in WW2, albeit I wouldn't call myself a nerd. 

If you want to debate, then here are some opinions on WW2 of mine:

  • Germany could have won WW2, but only without Hitler. Even then, if they still had to invade USSR, they'd only win in the very unlikely scenario that they'd get Western support.
  • Erwin Rommel is one of the most overrated Generals of all time.
  • Heinz Guderian is what most people make Erwin Rommel out to be.
  • Erich von Manstein was one of the most brilliant strategists of WW2 and one of the main reasons Germany was so successful.
  • US involvement in the war could only be delayed, but not prevented.
  • Germany could never ever have invaded mainland Britain, even with the destruction of the RAF.
  • Hitler was the reason for both the success of Germany and the failure of it.
  • Germany produced some of the best tanks of the war, but they were exactly the kind of tanks Germany did not need.
  • The Sherman is underrated.
  • While most people say Germany would have been better without Italy, I disagree. While Italy had one of the worst armies of WW2, it still did its own fair share of helping Germany. The Italian Navy kept the Royal Navy busy so Germany could focus on the ground aspect.
  • Many people misunderstand the involvement of Baltics within WW2. The Courland Pocket saw very fierce combat, and the Latvian Legionnaires were some of the last German units surrendered. Let that sink in - the Courland Pocket held out until the Soviets had already reached Berlin.
  • While Soviets had already won by then, D-Day was still an important part of the Allied efforts to end WW2.
  • The nuking of Japan was fully and completely justified.
  • Germany couldn't have gotten nukes, even if the Norwegian resistance members hadn't blown up the heavy water stations and what not.
  • The Soviet Union had better tactics for the use of large scale tank assaults - Deep Operations/Soviet Deep Battle.
  • There was no such thing as a "blitzkrieg" tactic - it was simply generals using the tanks at their disposal to their best ability.
  • Germany was technologically superior to the Allies, but its resources deprived them of putting them to any use.

Please don't hate me for having an opinion.

Edited by Sneaky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry that was a mistake I agree with you partly about the generals. But the overrating of Rommel is an outcome of British overrating of Montgomery who was the one who drove Rommel back from Egypt.

.especially here in Ireland and the U.K we are constantly given the opinion when studying world war two  Monty was the best general/one of the best. as a result of this we look further into Monty's combat career and we can see that he  was very successful(apart from in Holland). Monty was like Russia's Zhukov the pride of the nation.to boost his status further and to boost Britain's importance, they made Rommel out to be an amazing general and only a outstanding person like Bernard Montgomery could ever defeat him right?Rommel is overrated but I think that Montgomery is definitely the most overrated general of ww2

Rommel is actually my favourite general and I know a bit about his background. He performed great in the French campaign sometimes 32 miles ahead of the main advance. it was only here hitler noticed him.in one instance he took 10,000 French prisoners losing 36 men 

the German incursion Into north Africa was just meant to be on a support mission to help the beaten Italian troops(so a small army) but Rommel was given permission to launch attacks if he saw fit. as im sure you know he drove them back to Tobruk and el Alemain. even though he made these great territorial gains for the germans he is still very overrated, while people like guderian and manstein are underrated.i think guderan was actually a better general than manstein though

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Sneaky said:

Germany could have won WW2, but only without Hitler. Even then, if they still had to invade USSR, they'd only win in the very unlikely scenario that they'd get Western support.

First of all, i'm only kind of a nerd as i like to learn about a lot of topics. But i believe that i'm knowledgable about WWII, at least more than the average. Here's my two cents:

Not really. Hitler didn't have a much more impact on the war than, let's say, generals. The war still couldn't have been won without Hitler.

 

Also, i don't think delaying the attack on the USSR will do you any good. Germany was running low on critical things and USSR was only getting stronger. While USSR was somewhat low on production of things related to military compared to Germany, their potential was greater. And Lebensraum.

20 hours ago, Sneaky said:

Germany produced some of the best tanks of the war, but they were exactly the kind of tanks Germany did not need.

Not really against it. Massproducing the tanks they already had would've been better for them. And not wasting their money on supertanks like Maus that can be destroyed by air attacks easily.

 

20 hours ago, Sneaky said:

The nuking of Japan was fully and completely justified.

Didn't they schedule a meeting 3 days later after the nuke? I don't think they were in a hurry after the first nuke.

 

20 hours ago, Sneaky said:

The Soviet Union had better tactics for the use of large scale tank assaults - Deep Operations/Soviet Deep Battle.

But they weren't able to use them. Good tactics, poor use. Germany was better in that regard, i think.

 

20 hours ago, Sneaky said:

There was no such thing as a "blitzkrieg" tactic - it was simply generals using the tanks at their disposal to their best ability.

True, but i think the Germans were the first to do the "Tanks first, infantry later." strategy.

 

20 hours ago, Sneaky said:

Please don't hate me for having an opinion.

I will not, don't worry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JustAnUser said:

Not really. Hitler didn't have a much more impact on the war than, let's say, generals. The war still couldn't have been won without Hitler.

 

 

Hence I said, "Hitler was the reason for both the success of Germany and the failure of it."

4 hours ago, JustAnUser said:

Also, i don't think delaying the attack on the USSR will do you any good. Germany was running low on critical things and USSR was only getting stronger. While USSR was somewhat low on production of things related to military compared to Germany, their potential was greater. And Lebensraum.

2

I never implied that Germany should have attacked later. I was implying that Germany could have won against the USSR only if they managed to get Western (that is, Allied) support.

4 hours ago, JustAnUser said:

Didn't they schedule a meeting 3 days later after the nuke? I don't think they were in a hurry after the first nuke.

 

I don't really see what point you're trying to make.

4 hours ago, JustAnUser said:

But they weren't able to use them. Good tactics, poor use. Germany was better in that regard, i think.

11

You seem to be arguing against a point I never made. Albeit, the Soviets were able to use deep operations - Operation Uranus.

4 hours ago, JustAnUser said:

True, but i think the Germans were the first to do the "Tanks first, infantry later." strategy.

1

It wasn't planned, however. Hitler was himself very surprised by the success of the Wehrmacht against France. He was not at all expecting such a sudden and successful thrust against France.

 

 

12 hours ago, Irish empire said:

sorry that was a mistake I agree with you partly about the generals. But the overrating of Rommel is an outcome of British overrating of Montgomery who was the one who drove Rommel back from Egypt.

.especially here in Ireland and the U.K we are constantly given the opinion when studying world war two  Monty was the best general/one of the best. as a result of this we look further into Monty's combat career and we can see that he  was very successful(apart from in Holland). Monty was like Russia's Zhukov the pride of the nation.to boost his status further and to boost Britain's importance, they made Rommel out to be an amazing general and only a outstanding person like Bernard Montgomery could ever defeat him right?Rommel is overrated but I think that Montgomery is definitely the most overrated general of ww2

Rommel is actually my favourite general and I know a bit about his background. He performed great in the French campaign sometimes 32 miles ahead of the main advance. it was only here hitler noticed him.in one instance he took 10,000 French prisoners losing 36 men 

the German incursion Into north Africa was just meant to be on a support mission to help the beaten Italian troops(so a small army) but Rommel was given permission to launch attacks if he saw fit. as im sure you know he drove them back to Tobruk and el Alemain. even though he made these great territorial gains for the germans he is still very overrated, while people like guderian and manstein are underrated.i think guderan was actually a better general than manstein though

 

 

16

1. Rommel was a good general, I agree, but my problem is that most people make him out as the reason for the success of German tanks, especially the Northern attack into France via the Benelux. You could have put any good general in place of Rommel and they would have done just as well as Rommel did, which is why I think Rommel is overrated - he was good, but not the reason for Germany's success.

2. You can't compare Guderian to Manstein at all. Guderian was a tactician, Manstein was a strategist. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

3. I definitely agree with your 2nd paragraph, though. Monty, Zhukov and Rommel were all "media generals", pride of the nation, as you said. Albeit, Zhukov did actually deserve his spot when compared to the state of the USSR.

Zhukov was not at all a great general. The reason he became so popular was that he was a good general when compared to everyone else the USSR had. The Great Purge left a massive hole in the commanding abilities of the USSR, and Zhukov was the only competent general they had, hence he was regarded as one of the best generals of WW2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By AsternAsp
      What if Germany had won the World War II? What if Mussolini was able to bring the Roman Empire back? What if Japan defeated China and took control of Asia?
       
      What if the Axis had won the World War II?
       
      This scenario was created entirely by me. It explores the alternative universe where Germany and Italy defeated the USSR, France, England and USA, while Japan defeated China, based on a hypothetical map of 'The Man in the High Castle'. Now, the world is divided into 4 ways: the Greater Germanic Reich, the New Roman Empire, the Japanese Empire and a few neutral countries that will try to survive through this new dark age on human history.
       
      Will you be able to bring freedom for the world again?
      Or will the Black Sun shine forever?
       


      The link for the download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B_FVdqkxjlsnW102mBmalNpeLzcLHOXV/view?usp=sharing
      Install instructions:
      1. Download the file
      2. Extract it into your AoC2 folder (usually Age of Civilizations 2/)
      3. When it asks you to rewrite the files, rewrite them.
      4. Have Fun :))
    • By WorldStadiums
      AGE OF CONFLICT

      Age of Conflict is a mod based on the modern era (1900-present), in which it will be tried to be as exact as possible to the various years in which the mod is based. From completely renewed scenarios of the First World War and the modern world, to completely new scenarios of the Cold War or the interwar period.
      This "Mod" I wanted to do a long time ago, I even published a post in the forum, but due to lack of time I had to delete it ... Now I have a little time to create it, so this time I will not delete it.
      The idea of the mod is completely inspired by Nova Aurora, my goal is to make something as cool as the previously mentioned mod.
      Also, if you have any suggestions for any scenario or if you want to help with the mod (either looking for information or things like that) you just have to tell me
      Discord Server: Coming Soon
      What I plan to add:
      Many new scenarios ranging from 1900 to 2021 Rarely seen new civilizations, from very unknown African tribes to rare vassal states in scenarios New formable nations, mostly fictitious, but there will also be historical. Events in all scenarios New music Correct leaders for each scenario, (European, American and the most important countries of Asia, Africa and Oceania) There are more things that I would like to add, such as a new fund or new provinces, but they are things that I do not think I will add due to lack of time.
      Future scenarios:
      1900 1910 Great War || 1914 1916 Interwar Period || 1919/1920/1921 (Not decided yet) 1930 Chaco War || 1932 World War II || 1936 1940 1942 1945 1950 1960 1970 1980 1990 Yugoslav Wars || 1991 2000 Modern World || 2021 (Scenarios such as the Second Sino-Japanese War or the Russian Revolution will not be included separately, as they will be included in the annual scenarios)
      Progress: 1%
      Screenshots: Coming Soon
       
    • By BaronVon016
      Hi! I'm new to the forum, and taking advantage of the update 1.5 of my favorite mod of this game, I wanted to start a scenario very similar to that of Hearts of Iron IV from 1936, unlike the rest, I will imitate the branches of approach, both political and specific to each nation.


      Join our Discord server!
      ➥ https://discord.gg/fJX6QHVSjn

      This mod will have:
      ➢ Focus trees for much of Europe. - In process...
      ➢ Own color palette. ✔
      ➢ New and Custom HUD ✔
      ➢ Custom Font. ✔
      ➢ Custom design to box of events ✔ 
      ➢ +60 events per almost european country ✔
      ➢ New sounds (From Hearts Of Iron IV). ✔
      ➢ New background music. ✔ (I accept suggestions for more background music)
      ➢ New cursor. ✔
      ➢ New icons available ✔ 
      ➢ Leaders for each ideology. - This implementation is suspended until the 4th update of Conquerors.
      ➢ Intelligence agency system for communist, fascist and some major countries
      ➢ New background menu

      ❖Countries that will have focus trees:
      -Germany 
      -France 
      -Turkey
      -Spain
      -UK (United Kingdom)
      -Italy
      -USA
      -Japan
      -China

      ❖Countries that will have focus trees in future game updates:
      -Hungary
      -Canada
      -Mexico
      -Bulgaria
      -Greece
      -Australia

      ✉Changelog 22/3/21: The aesthetic changes to the HUD and sound were almost completely completed.

      ✉Changelog 23/3/21: The German political focus tree and the "Four Year Plan" focus tree have been completed. (Pending the Rhineland and Anschluss focus tree).

      ✉Changelog 25/3/21:  Focus trees are now interspersed every 2 months (60 days).

      ✉Changelog 25/3/21 - 11:08: Finished German Focus Trees, I already started with the focus trees of France.

      ✉Changelog 27/3/21: All focus trees in germany are finalized.

      ✉Changelog 29/3/21: Ocean color changed to a darker blue similar to HOI4.

      ✉Changelog 8/4/21: A Discord server has been created to receive help of any kind to the MOD.
      ➥ https://discord.gg/fJX6QHVSjn

      ✉Changelog 10/4/21: Added a background for the main game menu, a new system for forming civilizations, and an intelligence system for communist and fascist countries.

      ✉Changelog 21/4/21: French focus tree finalized

      ❖ Note: -I wrote this with the help of the translator-
      ☛ I used a map created by Nationalism Is Strength
       



       

    • By Ilovepatatos
      I'm trying to create a 1900 scenario with events until the modern day if someone can help with tips u can do it 
      Discord link https://discord.gg/hBT6CnTe
    • By PrzyjacielMalarza
      Bitwa o Anglie 1940 rok
       
      Mój pierwszy scenariusz który opublikowałem na tej stronie 🙂
      Zawiera on eventy dotyczące kapitulacji III Rzeszy jak i Wielkiej Brytanii by gracz nie podbijał państw w nieskończoność 😉
       


      Bitwa o Anglie.rar
  • Popular Now

  • Our picks

  • Tell a friend

    Love Age of History Games? Tell a friend!

  • Posts

×
×
  • Create New...