Age of History 3
PETER

Reform Technology

There is a serious problem when it comes to technology in the game, and it is ticking like a time bomb.

Technology in the game is grossly oversimplified, and in a lot of strategies largely ignored.  This post will explore ways to make the game more in depth, realistic, and balanced.  It will be split into two subs:  Balance and military.

BALANCE

When it comes to technology, the game is broken.  Every time, the bigger nations with the bigger economies are leaps and bounds of the smaller nations, say the HRE.  This is a joke, as regions should develop in technology uniformly.  Development of technology should be not be dependent on income, but instead possibly a fixed speed. It could be increased with events, which I already do in my Too True 1440 campaign.

Of course the problem with this is the player loses the freedom necessary to say, build an Indian colonial empire.  As I said earlier, I have events in my campaign giving tech points to certain civilizations.  Say, the Renaissance or printing press.

There is still much to do in this topic.  Any suggestions to replace the income system?

MILITARY

This is an in depth look on specific new modifiers that could added to invest technology points in.  As of now, all seven modifiers basically increase your income.  This means people do not care as much about it, and rightfully so.  There should be added new modifiers affecting the outcome of a battle.  These include:

Offensive modifier

Defensive modifier

Fort modifier

Siege modifier

Fort maintenance modifier

Navel battle modifier

These new 6 modifiers would greatly change the game in a good way.  Now this would add realism, where a smaller European army could destroy a larger Chinese army.

This list can still be worked on, so feel free to comment any changes!

They should make it so that you can't fund research points. To obtain research points you need to either focus on using the tech points into that or focus on building buildings that help grow technology level.

This would make a country that isn't focus on research grow much slower in technology. 

It would definitely cause a bit more realism to the game since now it would take much long to reach the technology of say .6. 

Being a bigger country will only mean you have a higher potential but doesn't mean you should be more technology advance to a smaller country that focus on research for the past 35 turns.

It would really add another level of Gameplay compared of what we have now where if you have a big country with a big economy it would also equal to having a high technology level since you can just replace your income into points.

15 hours ago, EmpirePlanner145 said:

They should make it so that you can't fund research points. To obtain research points you need to either focus on using the tech points into that or focus on building buildings that help grow technology level.

This would make a country that isn't focus on research grow much slower in technology. 

It would definitely cause a bit more realism to the game since now it would take much long to reach the technology of say .6. 

Being a bigger country will only mean you have a higher potential but doesn't mean you should be more technology advance to a smaller country that focus on research for the past 35 turns.

It would really add another level of Gameplay compared of what we have now where if you have a big country with a big economy it would also equal to having a high technology level since you can just replace your income into points.

Tell me about it.  In my EU4 scenario the Timurids and Mamluks always colonize more than the Europeans.

The best way to fix this, in my opinion, is this:

1. Technology slowly spreads from higher technology countries to lower. If a country borders another country which is technologically more advanced, each turn one province of the country gets more advanced, and once all the provinces are advanced, the country then gets a technology level.
  2. Research is gained not based on the amount being spent, but rather the percent of the economy going towards technology. Basically, if an OPM has research of 20%, but so does a large empire, they would gain the same amount of research. However, to better represent how smaller countries made larger innovations, the amount of research a country gets would be decreased by 0.5% per province, up to -20% research speed.
  3. Research Levels are made fewer, but stronger and more unique. Maybe have like 40 technology levels instead of 200, making advancements in technology that much more important.
  4. An optional setting for where countries in specific regions get a major decrease in technology speed, making them rely more heavily on the spread of technology. For instance, for the 1440 start date, you could make a setting where every country whose capital is outside Europe gets a -80% rate to technology so they don't colonize and aren't as powerful.

i feel like the techology u get from spending should be nerfed by about 80% and then buff buildings and make it so bordering a country that has higher techonlogy then u will give u technology