Age of History 3
Mirolit

Questions about AoH3 map modding

Question

Posted (edited)

A few questions about editing the AoH3 map (as well as related questions) that I've been wanting to ask for a long time, but forgot:

1) What are the technical limitations of the map size that the game can withstand? I'm working on a very detailed map focused on 20th century scenarios. It's larger than the stated dimensions of the AoH3 vanilla map, but I'm still not sure about the total number of provinces of this map: the template I used (E3 map project for Darkest Hour) contains 8020 provinces, but in comparison with it, each province is divided into an average of 4 provinces (in the attached screenshots it's noticeable that a part of Flanders even has a number of CITIES consisting of several provinces, I also attached a screenshot of part of the template for comparison), so the total number of provinces may exceed 30K, and I'm afraid: Will the game be able to handle so many provinces and a larger background size? Even in the map editor, scrolling with this map is very slow compared to maps from AoH2.

2) How exactly does CUT_FROM_PROVINCE_MODE works? As I understood from the brief description in the corresponding section on the forum, it allows to create rivers separately. I haven't tried to make rivers for the above-mentioned map yet (so as not to overload it and waste time on rivers), but I would like to understand in advance how exactly this function works.

3) Is it possible to assign generals to armies in advance in the scenario editor when arranging armies on the map? This would be convenient and would help to avoid mistakes with AI-controlled civilizations

IMG_20240518_124231_281.png

IMG_20240518_124225_594.png

Edited by Mirolit

3 answers to this question

1. The map editor is not optimized like the game. The AoH3 map will have almost 14k provinces.

It will depend on the computer the player has, certainly twice as many provinces will have an impact on drawing the map.

Maybe it will work fine, maybe not. I don't know at this point. 

It's easy to split the province into two later, so maybe try making 16-18k. provinces.

2. Visually it will work in-game, not in the map editor. It will cut pixels from the main provinces on the map.

3. It is not possible

18 hours ago, Łukasz Jakowski said:

Visually it will work in-game, not in the map editor. It will cut pixels from the main provinces on the map.

I mean, how will the game determine which provinces are rivers?