Age of History 3
Redguy325

General Scenario Editor (Events!) Uptade [Technical proposals]

INTRODUCTION

I may not have been a highly active writer on this forum before, however I spent hundreds of hours in AOH2 editor and I would like to share my experience and Conclusions on how AOH3 editor should look. My opinions are based on AOH2 so with upcoming new possible mechanics some things may get clickly outdated, obviously.

First and Foremost, I want to point out that the editor is in my opinion the most important thing in AOH2, and most likely will become in AOH3 as well. And the most interesting thing in Editor is the Event creator and I will focus on it. AOH3 may become, apart from being good game, de facto launcher for different unique games if change will be implemented properly.

VARIABLES AND OUTCOME "IF"

Variables plays crucial role in programming. I find creating complicated events in AOH3 something similar to programming, so the scenario editor should include this as well. There should be an option to add Variables (maybe in the editor panel, or just in scenario's settings?). a Variable would be essentially a named value determined by the events (in the events' outcomes), influencing other events (in the events' Triggers).

They would perfectly fit with another significant novelty, which would be result "if". In AOH2 if I wanted to make different outcomes in different conditions, I used to make just many events. This is often frustrating though, because you have to either limit possible outcomes, or make very large amount of events, all of which would concern the very same thing. "If" would work as command "execute" in minecraft (Does anyone know what I am talking about?). It means that "if" would be a one of the outcomes, but upon selecting "if" you would just see another trigger and outcome window.

This is showcase of using both Variables and "if":

> Variables are made to show popularity of Russian political parties (e.g. 3 - very high, 2 - high, 1 - Low, 0 - Very low)
> Gets event about Political scandal in centrist party but only if it has very high popularity (variable is 3)
> As an outcome they lose 1 (from 3 to 2) 
> If Communist party has outcome higher than 1, they get 1 additional point (e.g. from 2 to 3), only if

I hope this clarifies concept.

ADABTABLE DESCRIPTIONS AND TITLES

Another issue I encounter when creating events is that the description and title give you always the same message no matter what. It hurts me when I have to write the same event about the same things again, just with changing one word when the situations differ. I propose adding "commands" in the text, that upon showing event would look differently. In this showcase I will use "[...-TAG]" as universal command framework. For example command [Capital-POL] would show in its place the name of the current capital of the country in the scenario that has tag "POL". It also fits greatly with variables, allowing player to put mathematical equations in commands which would include these variables

Showcase of using adabtable descriptions and Titles and how it would look like in a game:

Title: Riots in [Capital-POL]!

Desc: Today, after passing a new law concerning increasing tax rate, a huge riots began in [Capital-POL]. Police denied to fight with protesters, and it seems like the our doctrine of [Ideology-POL] is losing popularity. Pope [Leader-VAT] Has spoke to Polish population ensuring them that the Individual freedom is very important and must not be given up.

Translated in game into:

Title: Riots in Warsaw!

Desc: Today, after passing a new law concerning increasing tax rate, a huge riots began in Warsaw. Police denied to fight with protesters, and it seems like the our doctrine of Communism is losing popularity. Pope John Paul II Has spoke to Polish population ensuring them that the Individual freedom is very important and must not be given up.

I hope you get it.

SCENARIO-SIDE LEADERS

The last topic I want to focus on are the leaders. Leaders are currently in the game good addition, but with being impossible to change, It would be great to see other solutions.

I think that the best solution would be just scenario-side leaders, with player making scenario able to freely set leaders on different countries. Obviously what is also needed is leaders changable via events.

All of this applies to generals which was leaked to be in the AOH3 by Łukasz.

SUMMARY

I believe that changes proposed above would make events so powerful, that players would be able to implement their own mechanics in the game, changing the way we see AOH3 for better. This + New system would make AOH3 game very easy and fun to mod and create complex things in.

Edited by Redguy325
Made a typo.

8 minutes ago, Redguy325 said:

INTRODUCTION

I may not have been a highly active writer on this forum before, however I spent hundreds of hours in AOH2 editor and I would like to share my experience and Conclusions on how AOH3 editor should look. My opinions are based on AOH2 so with upcoming new possible mechanics some things may get clickly outdated, obviously.

First and Foremost, I want to point out that the editor is in my opinion the most important thing in AOH2, and most likely will become in AOH3 as well. And the most interesting thing in Editor is the Event creator and I will focus on it. AOH3 may become, apart from being good game, de facto launcher for different unique games if change will be implemented properly.

VARIABLES AND OUTCOME "IF"

Variables plays crucial role in programming. I find creating complicated events in AOH3 something similar to programming, so the scenario editor should include this as well. There should be an option to add Variables (maybe in the editor panel, or just in scenario's settings?). a Variable would be essentially a named value determined by the events (in the events' outcomes), influencing other events (in the events' Triggers).

They would perfectly fit with another significant novelty, which would be result "if". In AOH2 if I wanted to make different outcomes in different conditions, I used to make just many events. This is often frustrating though, because you have to either limit possible outcomes, or make very large amount of events, all of which would concern the very same thing. "If" would work as command "execute" in minecraft (Does anyone know what I am talking about?). It means that "if" would be a one of the outcomes, but upon selecting "if" you would just see another trigger and outcome window.

This is showcase of using both Variables and "if":

> Variables are made to show popularity of Russian political parties (e.g. 3 - very high, 2 - high, 1 - Low, 0 - Very low)
> Gets event about Political scandal in centrist party but only if it has very high popularity (variable is 3)
> As an outcome they lose 1 (from 3 to 2) 
> If Communist party has outcome higher than 1, they get 1 additional point (e.g. from 2 to 3), only if

I hope this clarifies concept.

ADABTABLE DESCRIPTIONS AND TITLES

Another issue I encounter when creating events is that the description and title give you always the same message no matter what. It hurts me when I have to write the same event about the same things again, just with changing one word when the situations differ. I propose adding "commands" in the text, that upon showing event would look differently. In this showcase I will use "[...-TAG]" as universal command framework. For example command [Capital-POL] would show in its place the name of the current capital of the country in the scenario that has tag "POL". It also fits greatly with variables, allowing player to put mathematical equations in commands which would include these variables

Showcase of using adabtable descriptions and Titles and how it would look like in a game:

Title: Riots in [Capital-POL]!

Desc: Today, after passing a new law concerning increasing tax rate, a huge riots began in [Capital-POL]. Police denied to fight with protesters, and it seems like the our doctrine of [Ideology-POL] is losing popularity. Pope [Leader-VAT] Has spoke to Polish population ensuring them that the Individual freedom is very important and must not be given up.

Translated in game into:

Title: Riots in Warsaw!

Desc: Today, after passing a new law concerning increasing tax rate, a huge riots began in Warsaw. Police denied to fight with protesters, and it seems like the our doctrine of Communism is losing popularity. Pope John Paul II Has spoke to Polish population ensuring them that the Individual freedom is very important and must not be given up.

I hope you get it.

SCENARIO-SIDE LEADERS

The last topic I want to focus on are the leaders. Leaders are currently in the game good addition, but with being impossible to change, It would be great to see other solutions.

I think that the best solution would be just scenario-side leaders, with player making scenario able to freely set leaders on different countries. Obviously what is also needed is leaders changable via events.

All of this applies to generals which was leaked to be in the AOH3 by Łukasz.

SUMMARY

I believe that changes proposed above would make events so powerful, that players would be able to implement their own mechanics in the game, changing the way we see AOH3 for better. This + New system would make AOH3 game very easy and fun to mod and create complex things in.

Wonderful ideas and explanation 

50 minutes ago, Dadi39 said:

This "if" is in the game, you can do more triggers than one 

Triggers are cool, but they can only work together. I am talking about outcome "if" which would add an additional outcome to already existing ones if special circumstances met properly. Like in example above, if additional requirements were met, additional outcome would come

Maybe besides "if" he could add "elseif".
If you understand programming you should understand what I meant.

Example:
If the capital of Germany is occupied by the USSR do this:
-- Something
However, if the German capital is occupied by the USA, do this:
-- Something

10 minutes ago, Katiowa said:

Maybe besides "if" he could add "elseif".
If you understand programming you should understand what I meant.

Example:
If the capital of Germany is occupied by the USSR do this:
-- Something
However, if the German capital is occupied by the USA, do this:
-- Something

Yes it would be cool, but it is not mandatory to achieve what is in your example, it could be done with 2 outcomes if. I support your idea, but I didn't want to suggest so many things that I would scare everyone and even Jakowski at the same time.

17 hours ago, Redguy325 said:

Triggers are cool, but they can only work together. I am talking about outcome "if" which would add an additional outcome to already existing ones if special circumstances met properly. Like in example above, if additional requirements were met, additional outcome would come

oh I understand thx it's super @Łukasz Jakowski pls consider addin it 🙏

After playing 11:59, I had an idea for making events so that they can be triggered by a button click on the sidebar, and can be opened and closed multiple times, basically I was thinking of somehow allowing players to make their own UI and menu using the scenario editor

3 hours ago, LLaarryy said:

After playing 11:59, I had an idea for making events so that they can be triggered by a button click on the sidebar, and can be opened and closed multiple times, basically I was thinking of somehow allowing players to make their own UI and menu using the scenario editor

I'd be grateful if you expand this idea. How would that event opened multiple times work, every time it would give the same outcomes?

On 11/12/2023 at 6:16 PM, LLaarryy said:

Bu en iyisi

On 11/27/2023 at 8:49 PM, Donetsk Enjoyer said:

I don't understand why are your propositions good

These are some technical proposals for scenario and mod makers so that they will be able to make everything via events.

On 12/1/2023 at 9:51 PM, Minemaster552 said:

I have a small suggestion with an improvement for events: A selector for reciever countries of events (for example: only nations with technolgy >0.5, only player nations, or even only region)

It is actually another great idea for the events! I would like these in game just as much as my suggestions. I would also add outcomes for that countries (same examples). It would make game so easier and better.

Edited by Redguy325
expanded comment.

22 hours ago, Pistoletoff said:

Although I am not a programmer, I still assume that the guys from this industry feel

I am actually not a very professional programist either, but I do know some basics and I know what Event editor in Age of History truly needs