Age of History Games
Chairman Baad

You Can Give Provinces Unique Names

AoH2 typically names a province after its city. But you can actually change the province name to whatever you want. And even without a city in the province, you can still give it a name other than "Fokus". This is done through a map's province_names folder. In the base game, this is how the sea provinces get their names.

How to add a unique province name:

1. Find the ID of the province you want to name by going into "Edit Connections And Provinces".
  2. In your AoH2 directory, go to map/<map name>/province_names. If you don't have a province_names folder, copy the one from the AoH1 map into your map.
  3. Open the names file in a text editor, preferably Notepad++.
  4. Add your province name on the line with a value one higher than the province ID. (ex. province ID 1821 = line 1822)
  5. Save your changes and reload the map.

And now whenever you hover over the province in-game, you'll see the name you gave it regardless of how many cities are in it!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• By TheArtistTree
      This is a simple scenario where every provinces in the game have their own independent nation! 
      Each civs have their own flag accurate to their respective province (if they have one).
      Civilization count: 356
      The scenario is currently unfinished, more has yet to be added!
      Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ouehFkrsBD1dm9-fpsGGpsnULojNWTuv/view?usp=sharing

• By Kingpvz
      Helo thare! I started to make a map in AoH2 called alavida. Don't forget to follow and share your thoughts in the comments!
      I'll be also adding a lot of scenarios, that's a thing! Don't forget to follow to never miss an update!
      Support me on patreon please (click here)
      Background: 

PROVINCES: 2565 
      NATIONS: 94
      SCENARIOS: Test Scenario; 2021; 2013; Venostanian Civil War; Mauritovanian Civil War; 1518; Stanovia; First Alavidian War 1946; Poprattian Civil War; First Alavidian War 1647; Second Alavidian War 1979; Second Alavidian War 1981; Second Alavidian War 1985; Second Alavidian War 1987; 1969; 1919; 1933; WW1; WW2 1939; WW2 1945; 1990; Help Fakoslovakia regain it's terriories!
      PROVINCES DONE:

DoH 21 (6/25/21)
      BIGGEST UPDATE SO FAR!!! Not only I made 13 new scenarios and a lot of nations but I also updated the test scenario and started actual modding process! Splash no longer says Age of Civilizations 2, instead it is Age of Alavida! Hordes no longer exist. Made a new ideology instead - Dependant (similar to vassal but far more free). Next, I changed the world continent package so now we have islands: Continental Alavida, Filipovia, Primyo and Sekdon! Did you think it's all? no. next I changed the color selector graphics so i like it lol; Added 5 formable civilizations, fixed regions and terrain types. I also played with some in game stuff that I don't remember so you can try it yourself lol;;; Next, I added first leader - leader of GSS and Stanovia - Onakla Ubrow! That would be it for this week, I think I did enough lol. Also, next few weeks I won't be home so no updates ;-;
      Update 6/18/21 (DoH 20)
      Happy 20th day of history! To celebrate this, I've made the first alavidian war scenario which you can check below! It's a bigger scenario that took me a lot of time and considering it's only the first part it is making me redecision everything lol; also the poprattian war scenario is broken somehow, when you open it it crashes the game not sure why

Update 6/11/21 (DoH 19)
      Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh what a great day to be alive! lol; I updated the test scenario (Testing purposes) and made new nations - stanovian countries and started with the scenario. I did not have much time so I did not finish it, I hope next week will be better lol

#slavsunite
    • By Chairman Baad
      If you've seen or created an event before, you'd understand the various issues behind the event text. Why can I only see part of the text in the event creator? Why did the description I just wrote get deleted when I added a trigger? Why are all the events in a different language? For many mods, these issues are common in scenarios with events. Luckily, there's a better way to display event text: event localization! Inspired by the system in Hearts of Iron IV, and originally demonstrated in The Chairman Baad Collection (rest in lack of content and peace) before being used in Norrvägen and The Second Great War, event localization alleviates all of the issues present with the standard way of event writing.
      So how do you use event localization?
      Event localization is a process that's simple for even a first-time modder.
      Go into your AoH2 directory, go to game/languages/, and open Bundle.properties. (the English language file for AoH2) Write your event's title, description (if you plan to add one), and outcomes under a tag for each piece of text. Be careful not to use the same tag for more than one event.
      Here's an example with the Turkish defensive pact event from TCBC. In this example, _t corresponds to _title, _d is for _description, and _o1 and _o2 are for _outcome1 and _outcome2 respectively. Replace each tag and description with your own, and make sure to save your changes! tur_azeripactexp_t = Defensive Pact with Azerbaijan Expiring tur_azeripactexp_d = Our agreement for mutual security with Azerbaijan is set to expire on the 16th of August. However, we have the option to renew the agreement and extend it until 2030. The only catch: both parties must agree to a renewal. What should we do? tur_azeripactexp_o1 = Appeal for a renewal. tur_azeripactexp_o2 = Let it expire.        3. In the AoH2 event creator, instead of writing your event text like you normally would, write the tags corresponding to the ones you added in
                 Bundle.properties.
      And that's it! You've just set up an event using event localization! During gameplay, if your event pops up and you see the event tags instead of your text, go into the settings and reselect your game language. This reloads the Bundle files so that your text will appear the next time you see the event.
      Now how does this solve the issues with normal event text?
      Let's go over that, shall we?
      Why can I only see part of the text in the event creator? By writing your event text in Bundle.properties, you are relieving yourself of this issue by using a text editor instead of the event creator. Unlike the event creator which doesn't let you scroll through your text, a text editor will let you see your text in full, allowing for longer descriptions and clear writing.
      Why did the description I just wrote get deleted when I added a trigger? It is frustrating to spend a few minutes writing an event description only to lose it upon adding a new trigger. But with event localization, you don't have to spend another few minutes retyping your description from the beginning. The next time you lose your description, you can simply retype the description's tag rather than the description itself, saving you some precious time in the event creator.
      Why are all the events in a different language? Ah yes, the classic "events only support one language" issue. This is probably the biggest advantage of using event localization: events can support multiple languages! Let's say that you want your event to support Turkish and English. By writing your English event text in Bundle.properties and your Turkish text in Bundle_tr.properties, players will see the event text in the correct language whether they're playing in English or Turkish. No more confusion or duplicate scenarios for each language!
      Now that you know the steps and advantages of using event localization, I hope you consider using it the next time you add events to a mod or scenario!
    • By Chairman Baad
      When it comes to adding cities to a map, you have two methods for how to do it. The first method is to use the in-game city editor, and while this does work in adding new cities, it doesn't let you change existing cities. It also displays new cities at the incorrect level. The worst part is that it leaves a file for each city, therefore forcing Android modders to add these and bringing their mods closer to the 65,536 resource limit.
      The second method is by using the cities.json files in the map's cities folder. This method requires you to have the map editor open, but the process for adding cities is still quite easy. It also lets you change existing cities and displays cities correctly while only using 1-5 files. Let's go through the steps for using cities.json in a map.
      Go into your map's directory and go into the cities folder. If it does not exist, create it. Add a file for each level of city you plan to create: cities.json for capitals, cities_1.json for major cities, cities_2.json for towns, cities_3.json for villages, and cities_4.json for hamlets. For each new file you created, copy the below example into it. Replace City 1 with your city name, and copy the parts in bold for each city you plan to create on the same level. { cities: [ { Name: "City 1", x: 0, y: 0 }, ], name: Earth }        4. This is the part where you need the map editor: click the point on your map where you want each city to appear. For each point, you will get a
                 set of coordinates in the top-right corner. Replace the "zero coordinates" for each city with the corresponding set you got from the map editor.
      And now you're done! Unless you recreated some cities you made with the in-game city editor, in which case you'll need to delete the city editor versions. But now you can reload your map and see your new cities appear!
  • Popular Now

• Our picks

• Tell a friend

Love Age of History Games? Tell a friend!