Age of History 3

I am terribly excited for this game. And even though this account is pretty new i have spent hundreds of hours in the editor and playing AOH2. And i think i can identify a key challenge for the development of AOHIII; this being: How to reconcile a WW2 strategy game with an early modern colonial expansion game, with a Victorian era game, with a roman empire game, with a feudalism game with any other possible historical setting and fictional mod setting for a strategy game?

I think i have a solution for this in the shape of a game mechanic that is compatible with almost any kind of scenario. 

ORGANIZATIONS (Orgs for short. waagh!)

Orgs are international diplomatic organs between one or more nations. Some historical and fictional examples include: The United Nations, The European Union, The Concert of Europe, The Roman Senate, N.A.T.O, The Eihentspakt or whatever, The Kaiserreich, The warzaw pact, The British Colonial Empire, The Holy Roman Empire, The House of Habsburg, The African Union, The Arab League, ASEAN, The East Asian Co-prosperity sphere, The Galactic Senate, The Argentine Confederation, The East African Federation, The Kievan Rus, The OFN. You get the idea. 

Here is a list of points detailing how i suggest it would be a good idea to implement such system:

1. Orgs have  a leader, founding members, common members, and observer nations.
  2. Org leaders are the ones who create the org, founding members are the nations who join shortly after (a pre-determined amount of time) common members are those who join afterwards and observer nations request to observer rather than to fully join.
  3. Orgs have four types: economic, military, diplomatic and scientific.
  4. Orgs have two type of voting structures Tall And Wide. In Wide structures, the leader of the org are voted on periodically, and every member gets 1 vote while observers get none; And in tall structures the leader gets 3 votes, the founding members 2, common members 1 and observer nations 0.
  5. Orgs when created in the diplomatic section of the editor can be assigned a flag. Orgs created in game by the player or the AI don't have flags to prevent inmersion-breaking  weird ahistorical flags.
  6. To go easy on android devices and to optimize the game, only major powers can create military orgs, and minor powers (#20 upwards can create the other types) This is to prevent Vanuatu from forming orgs with Burundi and such CPU intensive stuff.
  7. There is a cool-down on creating orgs to prevent too many orgs from existing.
  8. Minor powers and common nations can still create classic alliances. trough mutual defence agreements.
  9. Nations that are part of orgs should choose (non visibly) priorities, these priorities allign with the four types of issues presented in orgs.
  10. AI wise, it is important that nations prefer to legislate issues in existing orgs to push their priorities. rather than create new orgs. So as to not dillute the value of orgs over time.
  11. Diplomatically close nations should prefer to join orgs with you rather than nations with lower diplomacy opinion scores.
  12. Only org leaders can invite and kick members from their org.
  13. Every so often (a determined amount of time) issues are presented to the org and nations vote for and against it.

ISSUES

Issues should be balanced, and they shouldn't give quick advantages just by passing them. Instead they should act as modifiers that have upsides and downsides. These upsides and downsides can conflict with the respective priorities of each nation, these disagreements create the voting dynamics. Here is a quick example:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Civilisation of (FUTURIST REALM OF IMERETI) is calling the (CAUCASIAN ACCELERATIONIST ENTENTE) for a vote on the issue of (ECONOMIC SANCTIONS AGAINST: THE EMIRATE OF BALOCHISTAN)

--------------------------------------------------------------------This Issue when passed will give the following effects------------------------------------------------------

-Member nations get -40 opinion by (THE EMIRATE OF BALOCHISTAN)               

-(THE EMIRATE OF BALOCHISTAN) gets casus belli (REPARATIONS) against members

-(THE EMIRATE OF BALOCHISTAN GETS -X% (I don't know what the economic system will look like but you get the idea)

████████████████████████████████████████████████████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

60%

FOR:

-Armenian Empire

-Chechen Islamic Republic

-Futurist Realm Of Imereti

AGAINST:

-Azerbaijan SSR

-Free Territory of Crimea

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End of the example.

1. Issues should have upsides and downsides and should mostly concern the member states and/or a target nation.
  2. You should be able to create issues in the editor
  3. Custom issues can trigger events
  4. Issues should touch as many game systems as possible to make them powerful scenario tools, they should do things like modify passive modifiers like army maintenance and population growth, trigger wars, build buildings or even unique buildings to that issue, modify relationships between the org leader and the members, modify the relationship between members and non members, give casus bellis, give cores, modify governments, Etc...

I want to conclude with a defence of my idea, my opinion is that such a system would not only provide a fun game mechanic but would completely overhaul the way diplomacy is carried out in-game in a fun and engaging way. Even though similar systems already exist in other games. The super customization of this system would give a game identity to AOH3 in a way that could even make it compete with standing titles of the grand strategy genre.

On 1/2/2024 at 3:10 AM, Łukasz Jakowski said:

I will work on that. I think the best solution will be that organizations can only be created in the scenario editor

like a pre-determined options or like only created from the editor and there is no way to create more and remove?