Age of History 3
Łukasz Jakowski

Land units - Ideas AoH3

On 12/5/2023 at 2:21 PM, Łukasz Jakowski said:

In this topic we will write ideas for new land units. 

AoH3 will have different types of land units.

First of all, the AoH 3 will have new battle system:

The battlefield

Representation of the battlefield in the game.

units.png.d12f4d68f11b9d74c25c79b7b830865f.png

Land units will be grouped into 3 types.

Groups determine the placement of units on the battlefield.

lines.thumb.png.5797b0cff16b852aa782cfca7db562a5.png

Each unit can be unlocked by researching technology and then upgraded.

Units will have a different recruitment cost, attack, defense, movement speed and upkeep.

Here is the current list of units with upgrades:

First line:

Warrior -> Light Footmen -> Heavy Infantry -> Infantry -> Line Infantry -> Modern Infantry

Hoplites -> Spearmen -> Pikeman -> Elite Pikeman -> Musketeer -> Riflemen -> Mechanized Infantry -> Modern Mechanized Infantry

First line side:

Horseman -> Elite Horseman -> Cavalry -> Tank -> Modern Tank

Second line:

Archer -> Bowmen -> Crossbowman -> Elite Crossbowman

Canon -> Field Cannon -> Artillery -> Modern Artillery

Early Airplane -> Airplane -> Modern Airplane

This is a very early version, so maybe something should be changed?

Or maybe an idea for a new type of unit with upgrades? I'm waiting for your suggestions.

landUnits.thumb.png.0d6f9b0dddc17e097355c57f1828dc09.png

Idea for armies:

Professional armies, mercenaries and levies
Professional armies cost not only administration and salaries, but also population, supplies, happiness and stability, at great cost, they are the most disciplined armies, they obey the player's orders, they have buffs in statistics and greater tactics and organization, their pay is monthly, They will desert if they are not paid

The mercenaries do not cost more than their hiring, they themselves take care of their supplies by looting any territory already conquered, they obey the player's orders, but a mechanic could be that, if you give the order to attack one (x) province, but The mercenary unit has a nearby province (y) that has a gold mine or some valuable product, they will disobey you and attack the province (y)

They do not have good tactics or organization, but they are totally immoral and cruel, they will do whatever it takes to win, it means breaking any law, their pay is every month, if they are not paid, they will lose loyalty, if they go a year without pay, they will the event of "mercenary wars" will break out, as happened to Carthago

Levies and mobilization

The levies are mobilization in the medieval era, cannon fodder in case of emergency
Mobilization is only possible with certain policies and technological improvements, they have greater experience when being called

Raiders/pirates or privateers

armies that you can "hire" to attack roads or ships of rival countries, but not necessarily in war, they loot a part, give another to you, in case a pirate or privateer group conquers a territory, they will proclaim a "pirate republic" and that route will be quite unsafe

The idea concerns additional war mechanics related to units:

1. Mercenaries. The ability, if the conditions are met, to temporarily hire (a contract that can be extended) military groups with their own general for a large fee.

2. Militia. Under certain conditions and during the occupation of a large part of the country, a poorly trained military group that does not require maintenance may enter the ranks of the army.

3. Military support (may not be needed if appropriate military reforms are in place). The ability, in the presence of a certain technology (and the absence of restrictions), for an additional fee, to strengthen the combat capabilities of the army, providing them with special supplies or, for example, organizing a gas attack on the enemy before the start of the assault.

In my opinion, fixing warplanes to states individually rather than with the army would be better, and introducing a technology to produce planes and establishing a factory is necessary. In other words, simplifying the air mechanics of Hearts of Iron IV in an integrated manner would be preferable.

Could you please add terrain that the army cannot pass when marching remotely? I noticed that in the demo clip, the army planned its own route, but when it faced crossing mountains, if the army directly crossed the mountains according to the principle of proximity, it would become a bit weird. Could the military be designed to avoid mountainous terrain when automatically planning its route?

hello Mr @Łukasz Jakowski I Know I Am Late To The Post But I Would suggest one thing that would help add both depth and complexity to the new unit system: tiers

unit tiers start at 1 (weakest) and end at 5 (strongest)

a unit tier can be unlocked via high technology, with each tier getting more progessively better than the other, a unit tier distinguishes highly trained experts from new conscripts and will add a much needed realism to the game 

Example: Line Infantry (Tier 1) is much worse than line infantry (tier 4)  and this will  allow countries to have the upper hand in their respective period without fighting cavemen with rpgs and rifles, this would also make sense for the gunpowder era (EX: Ottomans have higher line infantry tier than austria at start of game)

This would Make Alot Of Sense as The USA For example wouldn't have the same technology for modern military as A Random African Nation, This would also make technology trees determine more how powerful a nation can be

I see many people want unique unit in different nation but they are really many nations but I love this Idea so I think new way is when you unlock technology with units we can choose what units type we use depends currently situation, yes they all have buff and debuff and may ask another resource

On 1/18/2024 at 4:59 PM, Aliex999 said:

Hi Luckasz!

I can't find the post in which you aske it, so I post it here.

Regarding the air force in the game, I had an idea.

Through a new structure, which could be the hangar, you can equip a province with defense planes, attack planes, missiles, and atomic weapons.

By clicking on the hangar, which appears in the province tab, you can equip the province with a certain number of defense planes, attack planes, missiles, or nuclear weapons.

Once one of the four hangar options is selected, the range of action will be visible, and you can decide how many units to deploy.

image.thumb.png.766b97f46494208d42163c0718831be4.png

**ATTACK PLANES**
They have attack capabilities. Once selected, they will be operational, and you can use them at any time to attack an enemy province. If the plane's range enters another Nation's borders, and the plane is active, the other Nation will shoot down your attack planes if it has active defense planes in that same province.

Once the attack plane is activated, you can select a province to launch an attack. The attack not only causes devastation but also reduces the population, industries, structures, and the number of troops in that province.

Air combat between attack and defense is governed by percentages that favor defense with an equal number of deployed planes.

image.thumb.png.6cffebb5d13cf3f232ce18f9f292a527.png

image.thumb.png.2cad1c788ac54ef67e31836b52dac1db.png

**DEFENSE PLANES**
Once active, they will patrol the provinces within their range.

If a foreign attack plane enters your patrolled provinces, it will be shot down (the success percentage may vary based on technology or pure luck).

image.thumb.png.831513ffe004bda95f98d948d7fd21e4.png

**MISSILES**
Missiles act like attack planes when activated in attack mode and like defense planes when activated in defense mode. Missiles cannot be shot down by planes but only by other missiles.

image.thumb.png.04a972ad9afb86f8890e50e97c311241.png

**NUCLEAR WEAPONS**
They need to be activated before use, like attack planes, but can only be shot down by missiles. They have a wider range.

image.thumb.png.e28365ad5325704c2e1424f45c25b5ef.png

Allies' planes, vassals, and Nations with military access will not be shot down if they enter our borders in attack mode.

After each violation by an enemy plane, the attacked Nation can send an ultimatum to request the withdrawal of troops.

The espionage system could also serve to warn about the activation of attack planes and nuclear weapons.

You might consider adding the aircraft and missile branch to the Technology Tree to increase their range (e.g., from short-range missiles to ICBMs).

I hope you like this idea and that it can be taken into consideration.

Man, this could be a great add. Hope Lukasz see it

On 2/26/2024 at 1:27 AM, angamo123 said:

Can we buy/sell units? Can we buy units that require tech we haven't research? Example we haven't research gun tech to get gun units but we can have gun units by buying from other nations @Łukasz Jakowski

Noo 😛 Will be possible to hire mercenaries

Posted (edited)

Есть идеи по каждому юнитам для некоторых стран, например: Римская империя-легионеры, Османская империя-янычары, Германская империя пехоты с огнемётами (1915), Танк Марка 1 Великобритания (1916). ,викинги использовали дракары им бонус к флоту. В настоящее время  линкоры броненосцы и тд .

Edited by Kaisereih
Не правильно написал

On 3/22/2024 at 2:20 AM, AmericanLiberia said:

Man, this could be a great add. Hope Lukasz see it

I hope it too ahah

I see he saw it, but he didn't reply so I don't know if he can impelements it

I want ships. There could be a structure called a port in which there would be different levels of ports. Each port level has benefits like creating faster ships, etc. In the harbours you can create different types of ships like the military system. These ships will look empty and you will have to recruit sailors or soldiers to fill them. These would have a maximum capacity. Some types of ships would be destroyers, aircraft carriers, galleons, caravels, frigates, etc. I also ask for a better aircraft recruitment system where you can only recruit at airports, which would be a new structure, not only for military aircraft but also for commercial aircraft. It would also be good if you could create your own commercial materials. I would also like a railway system and trains, as well as roads for automobiles.

Please lord, listen to me. 🤫🧏

Dear @Łukasz Jakowski  I have an idea for unit images. Some units will have different image base on their civilization. Example, sword unit of Japan will have samurai image. To do this, we have to rename the image in game file like this: unit id - civ id, similar to flag image in AOH2